It's the time of the year when it seems like everyone is getting sick. I have lost count how many of my friends, friends of friends and their children have the stomach bug right now. That's why I have a love/hate relationship with this time of the year. If you have been reading this blog for a number of years or know us personally, you know the havoc the stomach bug caused our then 8 month old son, 3 years ago. Since that time I have reading on ways to combat colds, flu and stomach bugs. I wanted to learn ways to build my children's immune system to do what it was designed to do...fight sickness. I'm almost scared to say this out-loud but I think I've found a good combo of supplements to take to be able to survive illness this time of the year.
While at the doctor last week for Cohen's 3 year check-up and Mason's 2 month check-up we talked about how the boys haven't had the stomach bug since October 2012 and besides my oldest going in to the doctor for an ear infection, we haven't been in to see the doctor for sickness this year. An ear infection and a few colds (which they got over quickly) is all we've had this year. Our pediatrician who has a medical degree and has been in practice for many years asked me, little ole me, my secret to keeping them healthy. I found it to be humorous because I tend to think the medical community could do a better job of embracing alternative treatments. Anyway that's a different post for a different day. But here is what I shared with him.
- Our children for the most part have a whole foods, GMO-free, organic, low grain and mostly sugar free diet. (hear mostly. They are about 80/20 we had pizza and brownies, which is very rare, the other day when dining with friends. ) We also have tons of green smoothies.
- They do not go to daycare or school (they're too young) and during the winter months we do more home church than actually attend church. Those places are breeding grounds for illness. Although in the January we will be attending a bible study once a week during the day where the boys will be in childcare for a few hours.
- The boys' pediatrician also thinks that me allowing the boys to play outside in the dirt plays a role in building their immunities. Who knew? :)
- And the obvious.. we wash our hands after going to public places such as the grocery store.
- We give them 3 supplements, this is what I think is key. They receive cod liver/butter oil mixture, probiotics and elderberry syrup.
Garden of Life Raw Probiotics I love this vitamin company. We were using a different brand of probiotics (bio-kult) before this one and have loved this one so far. I especially love that they are soy free, GMO-free, and gluten free. They make different types of probiotics. Some just for children, women, men, over 50 and just regular probiotics, which is what we give our kids. I just open the capsules and sprinkle them over some yogurt and give it to the boys. We give this to them every other day throughout the year. This helps keep a healthy gut, which helps fight stomach bugs and boosts immunity.
Original Sambucus Elderberry Syrup The boys love the taste of this. We only take this during flu and cold season. Read about some of the benefits here. This is great for flu prevention or if you have the flu, it helps you get through it quickly with less symptoms.
The boys no longer take a multi-vitamin since we take these supplements. We try to get most of our vitamins through fruits and veggies in our diet. We also don't get the flu shot and have never had the flu.
**I am just sharing with you my experience and what worked for us. I am by no means a doctor nor should you start taking any of these supplements without consulting a doctor. Hopefully you can find one that embraces homeopathy.
*Many of the links that you find on this site are affiliate links. By clicking and purchasing through the links you help keep this blog going. Thank you.