Hubby worked in California Monday through Thursday as a consultant when we first started dating. (What a commute!) He continued traveling for work throughout our engagement. Two weeks before we got married he accepted a job offer that allowed him to be home most of the time.
Though he is home more than he is away, having a traveling man is nothing new to me. I thought I'd share a few tips to help you get through, especially if you have small children.
1. Skype! Invest in a camera for your computer or purchase a computer with a built in camera. It helps the children when they can see their daddy's face (and it helps the wife).
(little man skyping with daddy)
2. Stay busy. Do some house projects you've been putting off, create a play date, or invite some friends over for dinner. It helps the time pass by so much quicker if you're busy.
3. Girls night! If you can have a babysitter come over, this would be the perfect time to have a girls night out. If you can't hire a babysitter, have a girls night in after the kids go down. Play some games or watch some chick flicks. Steel Magnolias anyone?
4. Create a "how many more sleeps" calendar. Every morning when the kids wake up cross off last night's sleep and see how many more you have left until daddy comes home!
5. Have your kids make handmade cards and hide them in your husband's suitcase for him to find when he unpacks. Sneak a card in there from you too! ;)
6. What are good friends for? Ask a good friend to call and check on you while he's away and do the same for a friend.
7. We have been using this site for years and what a God send. Especially when I was home with an infant while hubby was away. Flightaware.com is a great website to track where your husband's plane is. I'm sure older kids would love this site!
(watching hubby's plane fly into Chicago from Japan)
Any other great ideas you would add to this list?