While hubby and I were discussing social media, facebook came up. He shares the same argument that many have. Which is, it creates a false impression that we are really "friends" with people and that we know what is really going on in their lives. When we have no clue unless we are truly friends with them.
On my personal facebook I only add people that I know, participate in the ministry we serve in at our church and local photographers. I love seeing my 8th grade school teacher (who was my absolute favorite!), seeing friends from elementary school and even preschool, people from my hometown, and others that have been apart of my life in some way shape or form. No I am not in the lives of all 600+ "friends" on facebook. But I like to use facebook for something more than networking, fan pages or checking up on people. I love to use the facebook newsfeed as a place for prayer. Let me explain....
When the newsfeed pops up I scroll through and will use people's statuses as prayer requests. Here are a few that came up today.
• Now we all have the flu. This stinks...:-(
• SERIOUSLY!!! What else???!!!
• Praying, this morning, for our friends while they are at home in Cairo.
• is still home with Brystol. Fluids are still inside and she's sleeping instead of puking. Nurse will check in around 3:00.
• Baby Girl has an ear infection :( Just thankful it's not the flu, strep, pneumonia or a respiratory illness.
• Suppose to fly out to Denver tomorrow afternoon, after all the ice hits OKC. Not sure what best decision is.
And when their statuses aren't necessarily sharing something going wrong in their lives, I pray for their day. (especially stay at home moms) Twitter can also be used for the same purpose. You can choose to look at the down side of social media there is plenty of negative or you can choose to use it for His glory!